THESE RESPONSES ARE FROM 2012 AND DO NOT INCLUDE ALL OF THE CANDIDATES IN THE 2013 ELECTION
Position 1: Paige Michael (unopposed)
Position 2: Mark Dely (unopposed)
Sammy JobeNatalie Williams
Edgar BabianBrent BrockwayLisa Parker
Questions Asked of the Candidates – Click Links to See All Candidate Responses
- How many children do you have in public schools, and in which schools?
- Why are you running for the Germantown School Board?
- What talents do you bring that makes you a good candidate?
- What experiences in your personal and professional background have given you relevant skills for the Germantown Municipal School Board?
- What is your vision for the Germantown Municipal School District?
- How should the Germantown School district differ from the Unified District and the old Shelby County School District?
- Are there any current policies and procedures that you would keep / change? and why?
- What will you look for in our superintendent?
- Do you favor immediate tenure for tenured teachers presently teaching in Germantown schools? What about for tenured teachers teaching elsewhere in SCS?
- For how long a transition period would you be willing to accept non-resident children without tuition?
- How cooperative should we be when negotiating with SCS to gain control of the school properties which are inside Germantown?
- What are your thoughts on the possibility of the Unified District running some schools within Germantown? How can we prevent that from happening?
- Should our school district educate only residents of Germantown, or all county students currently zoned for schools inside Germantown? If we educate only Germantown residents, how or where should displaced students be educated?
- Riverdale Elementary School is at 135% of capacity. Should reducing that to below 100% be a priority?
- Do you favor an elementary/middle school, elementary/junior high or K-8 format?
- Should all school services such as transportation, custodial, buildings and grounds maintenance, and nutrition, be outsourced or provided internally?
- Who should provide administrative services such as accounting, payroll, purchasing and maintenance—Germantown School District or City of Germantown?
- Will we educate City of Germantown employee children who live outside the district? Will their parents be responsible for tuition equal to the Germantown contribution per student?
- What sort of school enrichment programs would you support?
- Should the IB program at Germantown High School be considered among the highest priorities of our district? If not, what is the highest priority?
- Should our school district strive to provide enhanced educational opportunities in the arts, foreign languages, STEM, or sports, and if so, should they be funded by increasing property taxes? Or by parental user fees?
- How should fundraising for extracurricular, sports and other activities take place: funded by the district, by parent fees or by selling merchandise in the community?
- Should technology be exploited to the fullest extent possible, i.e., replacing heavy text books with tablet computers? Who will pay for the tablets? What if they are lost or broken?